Friday morning I had the glorious experience if a pelvic ultrasound, lucky me eh?! Why they faf around making you drink ungodly amounts of water only to pretend like they wern’t always going to end up brandishing the condom wand is beyond me. My day was literally controlled there out by the sheer volume of my pee!
Anyway after what felt like an hour of wanding and a lot of rummaging around, the nice lady at the other end of the condom wand announced that I had a polyp and my endometrium was too thick, probably due to inflammation caused by the polyp. Great. There was a cyst on my ovary most probably from the fact I had ovulated a couple of days ago as there was no other signs of polycystic ovaries so that was good.
She wants me to return in three months (THREE MONTHS!!!!) to confirm her findings and make sure no other cysts have appeared. My GP will get the results this week and I plan on asking if it’s possible to just go ahead and have a hysteroscopy cuz if there is something there they can just remove the offending article whilst they’re in there and we can continue on with our dream of having a family. I don’t want to spend 3 months hanging around just for them to say, yep it’s still there, now let’s get it out!
I’ve been very upset about this uninvited polyp but not all that surprised. The cramps that started from around the time of last months ovulation haven’t gone away, and cramps, irregular bleeding and heavy periods are something I’ve experienced on and off for a couple of years now. It’s just cruel that this wasn’t picked up and dealt with before we spent 4 months ttc and getting our hopes up only to have them dashed again. I’ve had pelvic ultrasounds before because of my symptoms and numerous visits to my GP and the gynaecologist and have always been told nothing’s wrong. It’s sooo frustrating.
I’m almost definitely not pregnant if I do have a polyp. But on the plus side, most womens fertility returns pretty quickly after having one removed so if we can get on with it we should theoretically be able to conceive as easily as anyone else. But if we do have to wait those three months to have it confirmed where does that leave us? Do we continue to inseminate and hope it works despite the polyp or do we have a break to save ourselves from the heartbreak? The problem is the what if….
I am aware that this as just a minor bump in the road if ttc and many more have it so much worse. But this is my road and my bump and this journey is an emotional one, bumps or not.